This unit explores various concepts used to increase wellness in body and mind that leads to anti-ageing initiatives to keep the body in optimal condition longer.
Students will be exposed to information relating to healthy brain functioning and movement for mobility and how these and other factors impact on quality of life.
Aligned to clinical aesthetics, exploration of aspects such as hormones, cosmeceuticals and nutrition will be canvased, along with cosmetic medical enhancement, primarily by injection.
There are no prerequisites for this unit.
On completion of this unit the student will be able to:
- Evaluate and explain the history and foundations of specialisation in anti-ageing medicine
- Define and assess the importance of maintaining healthy body and mind functioning and how this might be achieved
- Critically evaluate the effects of quality-of-life issues on the ageing process
- Acknowledge stem cell therapy and bio-identical hormones in anti-ageing
- Critically evaluate the effects of ageing on movement and mobility of the human body
- Articulate the normal functioning of hormones pertinent to this unit relating to the ageing process
- Conceptualise cosmetic injection relating to wellness and anti-ageing medicine
Graduate Attributes (GA)
In addition to the unit-specific learning outcomes listed above, the following graduate attributes are taught, developed and assessed in varying degrees within this unit:
- In-depth knowledge and skills in the fields of applied health science and awareness of the complexity of health care delivery systems.
- Confident, lifelong learners who have the ability to respond to change, engage in reflective practice and critical thinking.
- The ability to communicate effectively with clients, peers and the wider community
- The ability to demonstrate in-depth competence in their area(s) of specialisation
- The ability to formulate and apply therapeutic interventions in their area(s) of specialisation
- The capacity to lead, manage and/or work effectively with multi-disciplinary and culturally diverse teams
- Awareness of professional and ethical responsibilities and a commitment to ongoing professional development.